Friday, January 19, 2007

Was It Something I Said?


For the last two years I've been working on a masters degree in Archaeology. The major goal of the degree is to write a 50-100 page thesis expounding on some topic. Since I'm a bit of a techie my topic is about linking archaeological databases on the Internet.

I've been assisted in this chore by my thesis supervisor, a professor at the university who in addition to teaching classes and doing his own research gives me suggestions about what papers to read or interesting angles to pursue.

Note:
Unfortunately Indiana Jones is not teaching at my university.

Yesterday I received the news that my supervisor is quitting his job at the university to take a job running a museum in the Solomon Islands. And when is he leaving? Friday!

Hmmm... I guess he won't be forced to read the thesis when it's done at the end of the year.


My brother says that I have this effect on people. Case in point, when I was in high school, I decided that it would be a neighborly thing to make a bunch of fruitcakes at Christmas time, and give then to our neighbors. One particular neighbor really liked the fruitcake, and a week later he was dead.

Not from my fruitcake...coincidentally he had leukemia, and that's what did him in. However, my brother insists that I did foul play by fruitcake.

Hopefully my thesis won't turn out as badly as this one:
Heroic Computer Dies to Save World From Masters Thesis

No comments: