Friday, January 19, 2007

Christmas in Oz

I realize it's probably a bit late for posting Christmas pictures, but better late than never!

This year we spent Christmas at our house, and Dave's kids came down to join us. There's just something about having kids around for Christmas that makes it more "official".

Last year during the holidays we were just moving in, and it was too much work to try and have a traditional Christmas on top of that.


The first order of business was to buy a tree. Australia doesn't really have anything that resembles a pine, so an artifical tree is what you buy.

I had never bought a fake tree before, and I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing. But I found something approaching the look of a real tree and set it up. Dave told me that you have to twist the branches a certain way to make them look fuller. "But they don't really grow that way", said I, the daughter of a Christmas tree grower.

Quibbles about authenticity aside, I think it turned out pretty good.




While they were banned from actually shaking the packages, or otherwise squeezing them to discern the contents, the boys were drawn to the tree like a magnet.





Christmas Eve, the kids all went to bed early, but were careful to make a plate for Santa. Apparently by the time Santa gets south of the equator he is very thirsty, and so children leave Santa a beer, and some carrots for the reindeer.




I was asked how many reindeer Santa has and I quickly tried to remember the Rudolph the Reindeer song. Hmmm... (counting quickly "You know Dasher and Dancer and..."). I estimated 6 + Rudolph, but I later realized this should be 8. I guess since Oregon is closer to the North Pole than Australia I'm supposed to know this stuff.



On Christmas morning Dave and I awoke at 6:30 am to the sound of pounding on the door and the chant of "Christmas! Christmas!".

The kids all held up stockings full of plunder. Lollies, bubbles, Crazy straws, colored pencils and pens...I think they came out pretty good.

Next came the pillaging of the Christmas tree, and soon we were knee deep in wrapping paper. The kids received remote control cars, roller blades, racing cars, and lots of other toys.


Dave got a circular saw and a some other tools, and my packages held gold earrings and some bath stuff.

Once the general mayhem was over it was time for some serious clean-up, and Dave started cooking the Christmas roast. It was pork, his specialty. For the next few hours the lovely smell of cooking roast drifted through the house.

I made candied yams with marshmellows, but they weren't a big hit. I guess you have to grow up with them to appreciate that taste. The kids kept asking "Is this dessert?"


No comments: