Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Home food

I've been wanting to cook some trout ever since I moved here three years ago, but it's always too expensive. I finally found a sale at the grocery store, and I bought two of the fattest trout you ever saw, nearly a pound a piece. I would have LOVED to have caught one of those when I was a kid in Oregon.

These rainbow trout were probably the fish farm type, and thus not "real" trout according to some folks, but they looked pretty good. I wish I'd thought to take a picture of them, but I was too busy cooking to worry about it. They turned out great, and Dave loved them. Who knew that Aussie's like trout?

Growing up in the country, we ate what I considered country food: fresh fish, deer, pheasant, quail, crab, roasts, and lots of steak. I was quite surprised to find out exactly how much that sort of food costs in the city.

My dad had a smoke house which he used all the time. So it was no big deal to eat smoked salmon or trout. I was horrified to find out how much that stuff costs in the supermarket.

We just bought a nice freezer, and I'm looking forward to filling it up with all sorts of good things. I wouldn't mind putting some of that venison or crab to good use now.

No comments: