Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Saturday Morning Cycle

Now that the temperature has risen above 70 degrees, the reclusive Queenslanders rouse from their dens and go...bicycle riding.

It was lovely and warm on Saturday morning, so Dave and I decided to hit the dusty bicycle trail over the bridge to the weir. In case you're not up on weirs (I wasn't), a weir is a small dam in a river or stream.

The river has some lovely talapia but unfortunately it's illegal to catch (and eat) them because they are considered a pest fish. There are also some very feisty turtles, geckos and waterfowl whose names I haven't learned yet.




Directly across from the weir is a nice restaurant that we like, so we sat down, ordered a drink and thought about what we'd like to have for lunch. As I was sitting there thinking, I spied something golden.




Hey, some money! In this case a two dollar coin, sitting all on its lonesome, so we invited it to lunch. Well actually to help pay for lunch.

However, as I looked around, there was no one to be seen. Very puzzling. Normally the restaurant is packed at lunch-time on the weekend.

I went over and grabbed a menu, and figured it out..."Lunch served from 12:00 - 2 pm."

It was currently 11 am. Bummer. Well, nothing left to do but enjoy the view...

Those turtles are starting to look good, however.

No comments: